How to Sew a Zipper on Pillows
Sewing a zipper is a simple task if you have basic sewing skills. But if you don’t have any experience then this is the best way to learn it.
Zippers are one of the most common items in the modern world. They are used to close clothes and also to attach the pockets in the bags.
We use zippers for various purposes, but the most important purpose is to add style and uniqueness to the looks of the garments.
If you don’t know how to sew a zipper on the pillow, then it is not a big deal as you can easily get the idea from here. Here are the step-by-step methods to sew a zipper on the pillow:
Zip: The first thing is zip and you will have to use a metal zipper to sew the zip on the pillow.
Sewing Machine: This is also an important material to sew a zipper on a pillow
Tape: After getting the zip, you have to place it on a piece of tape to seal it. It is a strong and useful tape that helps you to attach the zipper to the pillow.
Thread It is an important thing to sew a pillow on a pillow case. The thread is used to stitch the pillow on the pillowcase.
Needle and Thread: You need to use a needle and thread to stitch the pillow to the pillowcase. It is very important to make the stitches straight and proper.
Clips: If you are doing a DIY pillow then the most common problem is that you don’t have a good pillowcase. In that case, you need to use clips to hold the pillow in place.
How to Sew a Zipper on Pillow Step By Step
Here is the step-by-step method that shows you how to sew a zipper on a pillow.
Step 1: Cut the Fabric
You can buy a fabric that is suitable for sewing or you can make it yourself. Whatever fabric you choose, it should be lightweight and comfortable.
Step 2: Cut the Pillow
Make sure that you are making the same size as the pillow. You need to cut the fabric in the shape of the pillow.
Step 3: Join the Fabric
Cut the pillow into two equal pieces, making sure that the two pieces are joined at the center.
Step 4: Start Sewing
Once you are ready to start sewing, start sewing a straight line from the center to the edge of the pillow. You need to sew the fabric tightly, but it shouldn’t be too tight.
Step 5: Stitch the Edges
Stitch the raw edges of the fabric, once you are done with the stitching you can start cutting the thread.
Step 6: Close the Zip
Once you are done with the stitching, the zipper can be opened and closed easily.
How To Sew an Invisible Zipper On Pillow
Sewing is one of those skills that most people don’t have. Even if you have never tried, you can try and learn how to sew. And yes, this is something that you can do in your own home. But, before we dive into sewing, let’s see how you can sew a zipper without making a hole in a pillow.
Sewing an invisible zipper on a pillow is a pretty simple sewing project to do. It’s easier than you think. And, once you have made one, you will probably want to do it again and again!
Creating your own pillow is a simple process, and I’ll show you step-by-step how to sew an invisible zipper on the pillow and then how to install the zipper on the pillow.
- Fabric (any)
- Sewing Machine
How to Sew an Invisible Zipper on Pillow Step By Step
First of all, you need to cut a square piece of material. You can use any fabric or material that you like. In this tutorial, I am using polyester material and also I used a pillow cover.
After cutting your fabric, you need to mark two equal sides of the cover. You can use the sewing machine to do this job. To make the corners straight, you can stitch at the corner of the fabric and it will make the corners sharp.
You need to draw a line between the center of the cover and the seam of the material. Cut the line using a pair of scissors.
Use a pin to press the edges of the fabric and draw the pattern of the zipper. Start from the right side and then do the same thing on the left side.
Sew along the marked lines of the zipper. You can use a sewing machine to do this job. Sew a zipper from the bottom and top of the pillow.
Now, take out the sewing machine and place the pillow on it. Fold the material at the ends and then stitch the corners of the zipper using a needle and thread. You can leave a bit of the material so that you can cover the zipper.
The final step is to put the zipper into the pillow cover and attach the ends of the zipper. You can do this by hand or using a button. You can also add other elements to your pillow cover such as pictures.
How to sew a pillow cover with zipper and piping – step by step.
I’m going to teach you a sewing project using a zipper and piping for the first time.
If you are a beginner sewer or know how to sew a basic pillow cover, this post will be useful for you.
1/2 yard of fabric
1/2 yard of the zipper (black)
1/2 yard of piping (white)
1/4 yard of fabric for binding
A pillow form
Step 1: Cut the Fabric
- Measure the width and length of your pillow form.
- Cut one 1/2 yard of fabric for the front and another 1/2 yard of fabric for the back of the pillow cover.
Step 2: Prep the Pillow Form
- Preparation is the key to any sewing project. This means making sure your fabric and pillow form are clean and ready for sewing.
- Wash your pillow form and let it dry completely.
- Remove the pillow insert from the pillow form.
- Prepare your pillow form.
Step 3: Sew the Zipper
- Place the zipper face up on the sewing machine.
- Press the foot pedal to start sewing.
- Put the zipper into the pillow form.
- Place the zipper in the pillow form.
- Fold the zipper over to make sure it’s completely inside the pillow form.
Step 4: Sew the Piping
- Sew the piping along the zipper.
- Sew the piping around the zipper.
- Make sure the seam on the piping is aligned with the seam of the zipper.
Step 5: Attach the Bias Tape
- Sew the bias tape on the edge of the pillow form.
- Attach the bias tape to the piping.
- Tape the bias tape to the edge of the pillow form.
Step 6: Bind the Edges
- Sew the binding to the top of the pillow form.
- Fold the binding and press the raw edges.
- Trim off the excess binding.
- Use a blind hem stitch to finish the binding.
Step 7: Sew the Front and Back Together
- Using a zig-zag stitch, sew the two pieces together.
- Sew the pillow from inside the pillow cover.
Step 8: Add the Padding
- The pillow cover should have enough space for your pillow form.
- If you don’t have enough space, add some padding on top of your pillow form.
- Add some stuffing to fill the pillow form.
Step 9: Sew the Zipper
- Place the pillow cover back on the pillow form.
- Sew the zipper along the seam of the pillow form.
- Turn the pillow cover inside out.
- Stitch the zipper into the pillow cover.
Step 10: Trim the Binding
- Turn the pillow cover right side out.
- Remove the zipper.
- Trim the excess binding off the pillow cover.
Step 11: Attach the Bias Tape
- Turn the pillow cover right side out.
- Add the bias tape along the edge of the pillow cover.
- Fold the bias tape and press the raw edges.
After reading this post, you will understand how to sew a pillow cover with a zipper and piping for the first time.
There is nothing more important than preparation in sewing. This step is very crucial when sewing a pillow cover because it allows you to get maximum efficiency from your sewing machine.
It is always better to make a couple of changes before actually starting the project. The process of making a pillow cover in this video tutorial requires a little planning.
You will need to cut out some pieces of fabric before starting the project.
How to Sew Zipper on Pillow Cover by Hand Without Machine Step By Step
Most people don’t know how to sew zippers on pillows by hand without a machine. They are afraid to use a machine as they think they will lose time. But, it is not true as you will get a clean and perfect zipper on a pillow in no time.
There are many types of zippers that you can use on your pillow but if you want to keep the traditional look of a pillow then I suggest you choose the button-top zipper. It is one of the most simple yet most effective zipper types.
The reason why I am saying this is that it will add style and uniqueness to your pillow
Yarn or thread
- First, cut the fabric of your pillow, as it is a square pillow, then cut it into a rectangular shape.
- Take the pillow cover and lay it flat on a table.
- Cut the zipper in such a way that it will be perfectly aligned with the pillow.
- Cut off the bottom of the pillow cover so that it will sit perfectly.
- Apply the glue to the back of the pillow cover and keep it in place.
- Now, the next step is to take the pillow body and place it on the pillow cover.
- Take the zipper and lay it over the pillow cover.
- Press the zipper in the same direction as the seam.
- Start threading the needle through the pillow cover and the zipper.
- You can choose the color of the thread according to the color of the pillow.
- Thread the needle through the pillow cover and the zipper and pull the thread tightly.
- Now, tie a knot at the end of the thread and press it to hold the threads.
- Now, you can see that the zipper is sewn on the pillow cover.
- To complete the task, you need to cut off the excess threads.
Now, you can enjoy a stylish pillow cover with a button-top zipper. If you don’t know how to sew zippers on the pillow by hand without a machine then don’t worry as you will learn in a minute.
Tips to Make the Zipper Work Efficiently
Sewing a zipper on a pillow is a quick and easy way to get a good night’s sleep. So, if you are looking for a solution to make your pillow more comfortable and useful, then you can try this method.
Let’s have a look at some basic tips to make the zipper work efficiently.
Avoid too much friction
When you are sewing a zipper then the friction should be minimum. Try to keep your needle away from the stitching line as it will only make the sewing process harder.
Take care of the materials
The material that is used to make the zipper must be the one that can withstand the force of the zipper. If the zipper is not strong enough then it will break or split within the first 6 to 12 months of its usage.
Do not thread it
Make sure that your thread is not twisted, as it will ruin your work. It will not hold the thread that is needed.
Avoid sewing with the sharp and heavy thread
Use a thread that is soft and thin. It will not break as soon as it is used.
Zippers are not a difficult job to make it work well. Just follow these tips and make your work efficient. I hope that this article will help you to make a quality product.
Effective Ways to Make Your Pillow More Comfortable
Comfortable pillows are not only important for the healthy sleep of the user, but it also gives you a great feeling of comfort. There are various options available for pillows but not all are comfortable for the users. We are going to see how to make your pillow more comfortable.
Create your own pillow
If you don’t have the budget to buy a good pillow then you can make your own pillow. The first step to making a pillow is to purchase the right materials that can be used for the project.
Pillow Cover Fabric
Choose the right material for your pillow cover. If you choose an expensive fabric then it will be more durable than the cheaper ones. To add an extra touch to your pillow, use the same color as the pillow cover.
The next step is to create your pillow covers. For the top of the pillow cover, you can use the same color as that of the pillow. But if you don’t like the color of the pillow then you can choose a different color for the pillow top.
To make the pillow cover, you will need a zipper. Start the sewing process by placing the zipper inside the pillow cover. Make sure the zipper is in the middle of the pillow cover.
Sew the pillow cover
Once you are done with the sewing process, you can place the pillow cover inside the pillow. It will be a good idea to attach the pillow to the bed frame to make it more comfortable.
What is the best way to sew a zipper on a pillow?
For the best results, pin the edges of the zipper together, then put the zipper in place and pull the zipper through the fabric. Once you’ve done that, fold the top edge over the zipper and stitch the two layers together.
What are the steps to sewing the zipper?
First, pin the top of the zipper to the pillow. Then, cut the zipper and put it on the pillow. Pull the zipper through the pillow, making sure you match the ends of the zipper. Fold the top of the pillow over the zipper and stitch the two layers together.
Is it okay to sew the zipper on my pillow myself?
It is fine to do it yourself, but it will take more time and be harder than doing it with a sewing machine.
How do I make sure the zipper is sewn on straight?
You can measure the distance from the top of the zipper to the bottom of the pillow to make sure it is straight.
What tools should I use to sew the zipper on?
You need a sewing machine to sew the zipper on. You can also use a hand-sewing needle.
Hope you enjoyed this post and the result of making how to sew a zipper on the pillow. You will surely get amazed by the quality of the result.
It is not that hard to make a zipper on a pillow. If you are planning to make a pillow for your bed, then you must make it and if you are planning to make a pillow for a gift then you can make it too.
4 thoughts on “How to Sew a Zipper on Pillow Invisible Zipper with Piping”