How to Sew a Zipper on Bag
In this digital era, bags have become a necessity for women. Nowadays we see girls carrying handbags everywhere while going to the gym or office. It is not only the fact that girls carry handbags, but they also need to match their handbags with their attire.
Zip-on bags are very convenient to carry as compared to ordinary bags, but not all of us know how to sew a zip-on bag. Some of you might be thinking why sew a zip on a bag when you can buy them?
In this post, I will show you how to sew a zipper on the bag in the fastest and easiest way possible.
How to Sew a Zipper on Bag Step by Step
Here is a simple and step-by-step guide for you to learn how to sew a zip on a bag.
Step 1: Preparing the Bag.
Now, you have to prepare your bag. First of all, you need to cut off the excess part of the bag. If you don’t want to waste the fabric then you can cut off the excess material and make it into a patch.
Step 2: Mark the Bag.
After cutting off the excess, you have to mark the place where the zipper is supposed to be attached. You can use a chalk pencil to make a line. You can also use a marker pen. It will help you to make a line in easier way.
Step 3: Attach the Zipper.
Once you have marked the place, you have to attach the zipper. You have to place the zipper as per the mark.
Step 4: Sew the Zipper.
You will need to sew the zipper. The first step is to place the zipper in the place that you have marked.
Then, you need to start stitching the zipper. You need to stitch the zipper along the stitching line that you have marked. You will have to sew the zipper from the bottom and then sew it to the top.
Step 5: Finish the Stitching.
The last step is to finish the stitching. You will need to cut off the excess material that you have sewn and then stitch the top of the bag.
In this post, I have taught you a very easy and quick method to sew a zipper on a bag. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is to keep your sewing tools and materials ready.
How to Sew Zipper on Homemade Bag with a Lining; Step by Step
I’m going to teach you how to sew a zipper on a bag with a lining. This is the easiest way to sew zippers. There are no fancy tools needed. All you need is your sewing machine.
Here is the step-by-step method for sewing a zipper on a bag with a lining
- First, you need to cut the material of your sewing project so that you will have two parts: the front and the back.
- Cutting a bag is easy because you only have to cut the bottom and the sides of the bag. Make sure you cut the zipper tape.
- The sewing machine will help you to cut the zipper tape to the correct length. The zipper tape has the same width as the fabric. You will have to cut it twice, once for the inside and once for the outside.
- Now it’s time to cut the lining. You should cut the lining of the front, the lining of the back, and the lining of the zipper.
- The zipper is easier to cut than the rest of the material. The lining for the bag needs to be cut in the same way.
- Now it’s time to join both pieces of material. When you join the front and the back of the bag, they need to fit together perfectly.
- When you’re sewing a zipper, you’ll need to check if your material is the right size for the project.
- Make sure the zipper tape is in the right place and the right way.
- Check the zipper is the right length and the right size for the bag.
- After that, you will need to iron the seams.
- If you use a double zipper, you will have to use an invisible zipper.
- Iron the zipper tape and the fabric of the bag.
- Now it’s time to sew the zipper.
- Place the zipper tape right side down on the fabric and stitch the zipper. Remember to stitch the tape on the right side of the fabric and not the wrong side.
- Use a stitch that is smaller than the zipper teeth.
- To make it easier, you will need to use a blind stitch.
- Then, you will need to cut the threads.
- Take out the needle.
- Now you need to finish the stitching with a serger.
- This is the last step for the bag.
- Finally, you will need to iron the seam.
- After that, you will need to iron the lining.
- Do the same thing for the lining.
- Now it’s time to sew the lining.
- You can use any kind of thread.
- I would recommend using a dark or neutral-colored thread.
- Last but not least, stitch the lining of the zipper.
- Now it’s time to put the bag together.
- It’s time to fold the lining to the wrong side and the zipper.
- Fold the lining and the zipper.
- You will need to do it correctly or it will not work.
- Make sure to put the lining under the zipper.
- It’s time to stitch the zipper tape.
- Stitch the zipper tape.
- You can use a zipper foot if you have one.
- Or, you can use a regular sewing machine.
- Put your zipper on the bag.
- Your bag is ready to go.
Tips for Zipper Installation on Bag
There are different types of zipper tapes and ways to use them to sew your zipper. You can buy a zipper with a zipper pull or a zipper foot.
What is a Zipper Pull?
There are many different types of zipper pulls. They range from a simple metal clip to a plastic pull.
You can also use a zipper pull to add some decorative flair to your bag.
The metal pulls are more traditional and can be found in a variety of styles, such as chrome, brushed, or antique. You can find some of these at your local craft store.
What is a Zipper Foot?
A zipper foot is a small piece of hardware that is inserted into the needle slot on your sewing machine.
It makes the sewing process much easier.
The different types of zipper feet are plastic and metal ones. The plastic zipper feet are easier to use than the metal ones.
You will use it to sew around the perimeter of the zipper opening in the bag.
Step 1: Insert the Zipper Foot
Place the foot on the sewing machine with the zipper tape on the top.
The zipper foot will look like this:
Step 2: Fold the Fabric Around the Foot
Fold the fabric over the foot and insert the needle into the fold.
Step 3: Stitch Around the Foot
Sew around the foot.
The foot is ready to use.
Here are the different ways to attach the zipper to the bag.
Using a Metal Zipper Pull
You can use a zipper pull or a metal zipper pull to attach the zipper to the bag. You can also use a plastic pull.
You will need a zipper foot to sew the pull onto the bag.
Using a Plastic Zipper Pull
You can use a plastic zipper pull to attach the zipper to the bag.
You will need a zipper foot to sew the pull onto the bag.
Using a Metal Zip Tuck
You can use a metal zip tuck to attach the zipper to the bag.
You will need a zipper foot to sew the zip tuck onto the bag.
Step 4: Attach the Pull to the Top of the Bag
Open up the top of the bag. The pull should go inside the bag.
The pull should go down the center of the top of the bag.
Step 5: Attach the Pull to the Bottom of the Bag
Open up the bottom of the bag. The pull should go inside the bag.
The pull should go down the center of the bottom of the bag.
Step 6: Attach the Zipper to the Bag
Insert the zipper and pull through the hole in the zipper. The zipper should be facing toward the outside of the bag.
Sew around the zipper pull with a zipper foot.
Step 7: Remove the Zip Tuck
Remove the zip tuck and pull the zipper out of the bag.
Step 8: Trim the Zip Tuck
Cut off any
What are the best sewing materials?
There are many types of fabrics. Some fabrics are better for certain projects. For example, denim is good for jeans, but it is not good for making a purse.
What kind of sewing machine should I use?
You can sew a zipper with just about any sewing machine. It doesn’t matter which type of sewing machine you use.
How long does it take to sew a zipper?
It takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. It depends on how fast you sew.
How do you stop the zipper from opening?
To stop the zipper from opening, you need to insert a pin through the teeth of the zipper.
Do I need to have any special tools?
No, you don’t need any special tools.
I hope you learned a lot from this guide because it was fully packed with information of how to sew a zipper on a bag. A zipper is like the seam of a pair of pants or a coat.
You can see where the top and bottom pieces meet. The top piece is sewn together and the bottom piece is sewn together along a line that runs down the middle. When you sew a zipper you have to start by sewing the two ends of the seam together.
Then you have to insert a special piece called a slider into the gap between the two ends. This slider has two tabs that are sewn into the top of the seam, so they stick out of the top side of the bag.
When you sew a zipper you have to carefully insert the two ends of the slider into the ends of the seam.